Thursday, September 29, 2011

Relapse

I have not written in a while because we have been very busy trying to get things ready for the move to Oklahoma City. We went down there twice for several days looking for homes. I also went down to Austin, TX to see the BYU vs. Texas football game. Needless to say all of that driving, standing, and the long days were pretty hard on me. I have continued to recover slowly from the bone marrow transplant. The nausea is much better (although occasionally rears its ugly head) and my taste is pretty much back to normal. I have still not had much energy or stamina and am having some fairly significant nerve pain in my arms and legs. This is all supposed to get better with time......... There's just one thing. At the end of last week I noticed soreness right around the area I found my last relapse and upon examing felt like I could possibly feel some lymph nodes. I saw my Doc and he said it would un, un, un, unlikely that it would recur this fast after the doses of chemo and transplant I received. However, a PET/CT scan today showed several new areas of uptake suggestive of recurrence. So........... I get to start the whole process over again for the third time in almost exactly one year. They will do a biopsy of one of the nodes at the beginning of next week to confirm the diagnosis before I start treatment (chemo, drugs, another transplant etc.) once again. Needless to say, there will be no moving to Oklahoma, I will, almost certainly, not be starting my residency in January, and since we have already sold our home here (and we have no income) we will most likely be moving in with one of our parents. Not to mention this is definitely not a good sign for my prognosis. Yep, somehow my cancer did not get the memo that it is supposed to be "Not only highly treatable, but highly curable" especially for someone with all of the positive prognostic indicators I have. It is definitely part of me, it is persistent! I'll post more when I know more. It's hard having a large obstacle in your life like this that cannot be overcome by just working as hard as you can to resolve it. I am not used to that and don't know that I ever will be. I am still far from dead, though, and am grateful for what I have. It could still be much worse. Maybe it will be, I don't know, but we'll cross those bridges when we come to them.

5 comments:

  1. Brent, I am so sorry to hear this news, BUT we have your name in the temple and we will be praying for you. Big Hugs for you.
    Aunt Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to be kidding me! Brent, I need to have a serious talk with those nodes. Do you really have to start it all over again?! I thought of you often while I was in the hospital. I happen to be on the Bone Marrow transplant floor. I am so sorry that things are not going as they should. I'm thinking of you and the family and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent, I keep putting your name in the temple prayer box. There is power in those prayers and they get very personal. I have faith that the Lord will bless you according to His will and that your blessings will be countless. My prayers continue for you and remember there is always hope. Never give up. Get more priesthood blessings. After you have exhausted all that you can do the Lord will step in and do His part what ever that may be. Faith and Hope are key tools.

    I will continue to put your name in the temple and pray specifically that your tumors or lymph nodes will be eliminated of the cancer.

    Sharon Canlas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Brent. I don't know what to say or do, but you have my sympathy. I'm praying for you and rooting for you. Your optimism and faith through this trial is really encouraging, thank you. You are an example to all of us. I know that sounds really cheesy, but I don't know how else to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You "just keep swimming" like Dory says!
    Thanks for keeping this blog updated. Our positive thoughts, prayers and love go out to you, Brooke, Henry and Pearl.
    x
    Holly and Chad

    ReplyDelete