Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Since Transplant

So, I'll make this fairly short and to the point. I recieved my stem cell infusion on Monday afternoon. Barring a little chest tightness, feeling weird, and having really bad breath from the preservative everything went well. I slept for a couple hours from the meds they gave me, then woke up and was feeling ok.






It has been all down hill since then. It was great having Brooke here to help me get up out of bed and moving and just for the company. My blood counts have now started to drop by about 50% every day and that combined with the extreme nausea and GI upset from the chemo has got me feeling pretty miserable. I spent most of the day today sleeping when I wasn't hurling my guts out or sitting on the pot. It often feels like I have been sucker punched in the stomach and it's very hard to tell what food I will or won't be able to keep down, and how much effort I can expend. I can only look forward to it getting worse for the next few days as my counts continue to drop and I will probably need blood/platelet transfusions so I don't bleed out. I can't believe I am stuck here for at least a whole other week, probably more. BOO! Sorry if I haven't responded to everyone, it's hard to even want to talk most of the time right now.

6 comments:

  1. Yikes! That sounds so nasty. Hang in there, we are praying for you at least twice a day. Taylor got to pray for you twice tonight because we made him redo his very short prayer. I have some cards here from the kids and will try to mail them to your house. Actually, I will scan them in and email them to you so that you can see them while in the hospital. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're feel so gross. Hope it get's better fast and it's permanent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We remember you daily in our prayers. Wish we could do more to help. Love, Roger, Penny and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I cannot imagine what you are going through. You will get through it though! Your wife is a strong woman and your kids are even stronger! We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just received your blog site. I am so sorry you are going through this. Know that we are praying for you constantly and thinking of you often. You have achieved such incredible insight through your "experience". You are so right when you said that everyone has their trials and challenges. It is up to us as to how we will handle them. We can choose to be bitter and angry or we can face them with a desire to be able to find the positive in the situation. We pray for strength, endurance, and the ability to find the positive. At the end, we hope to be able to help someone else who is struggling, hopefully from the things we have learned from our experience. We become more aware of those around us who are struggling and have more of a desire to be there for them. You have learned much already. At the end of your struggle your rainbow will be big and bright with brilliant colors. You will get through this, and with your new insight, you will be a more thoughtful, helpful doctor. We love you very much and continue to pray for you to have strength. We know you have the courage and the desire. Keep fighting. You have many who are pulling and praying for you and your darling little family.
    Love Aunt Teri (aka Teresa)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brent, we are in touch with Brooke on a daily basis so we know what is going on and are always sending our love and concern for you through her. We decided that you needed to hear directly from us how much we love you and are so proud of the courage and strength you are showing through all of your trials. You have been a true inspiration to the entire family. We are all praying constantly for your fast and complete recovery. Know that we are here for you, Brooke and the children no matter what. Love Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete